The people we work with and their performance and behavior impact our results and our workplace environment. Many of us are also entrusted to train and coach others. Giving feedback effectively is a key communication skill which is invaluable to get results and maintain relationships.
There is a big difference between feedback and criticism. Giving feedback seems like a simple task, but it can be complex. It’s a valuable workplace tool that you can use to:
- Acknowledge good performance
- Address performance that needs improving
- Guide learning and development at work.
Receiving feedback can be tricky too. It’s important to maintain ongoing, positive communication with others and let them know you’re listening. Learn how to receive feedback effectively by:
- Listening actively
- Remaining open and curious
- Asking questions
- Understanding others’ perceptions
By the end of this course, you’ll be ready to:
- Describe the characteristics of effective feedback
- Use a simple practical model for giving and receiving feedback at work
- Understand the importance of constructively giving feedback
- Use feedback as positive, ongoing communication with the people you work with